Born in Milford Haven, raised in Neath and made in the City.
Little did anyone imagine that one day I would be putting my hat in the ring as a Prospective Non-Aldermanic Sheriff for the City of London.
But like Dick Whittington and many others before me, I came to London seeking my fortune, lured by the pavements lined with gold.
Just as Dick had his famous cat, I was joined along the way by some cats one of whom had the audacity in 2015 to impersonate the Lord Mayor thereby causing me to be Jailed in the Tower of London released only when sufficient people put up my bail money. Thankfully Pol Roger supplied the water rations, so it wasn’t such a bad experience and together my fellow Livery Company Masters and I raised over £30k for the Red Cross.
Have I made my fortune in the City?
Certainly, the City has enabled me to earn my living, but it has given me so very much more.
The City has given me the opportunity to:
- Meet the most amazing people
- Give back through the charitable giving of the Livery Companies of which I am a member
- Support future generations, in particular through encouraging greater diversity in the workplace, mentoring young people and developing initiatives that shine a spotlight on talented City professionals
- Take advantage of the City’s many cultural offerings (it has concert halls, museums and art galleries)
- Eat in fine restaurants and hang out in hostelries
- Rest my weary feet and troubled mind in the tranquillity of its churches
- Walk my socks off on Hamptead Heath
- And … so very much more.
In short – I want to give back to the City that has shaped me and made me who I am.
I want to play my small part in paying forward by serving the Lord Mayor in the role of Non-Aldermanic Sheriff of what is one of the world’s greatest Cities – a melting pot of people, a catalyst for ideas and somewhere that I am proud to call “home”.
For me, putting people together, making connections and reaching out to a wider world are part of my DNA and I can think of no better way of using these attributes than serving as Sheriff.
If you’re a Liveryman, I’m sure you’ll agree with me what a special honour it is to be part of something that has been around for centuries and contintiues to be relevant.
And if you’re not a Liveryman – why not connect with me and find out more!
Read more about what I can bring to the Civic Party in 2018-19.
You must be logged in to post a comment.