The Worshipful Company of Glass Sellers
The Company received its Royal Charter from Charles II in 1664. Initially, it was founded to regulate the Glass-Selling and Pot-Making industries within the City of London, it is one of the City’s older Livery Companies.
The role of the livery company today is to
- maintain cordial relationships within the Company, the City and the glass industry
- stimulate interest in glass in all its aspects
- carry out charitable works, with special emphasis on education
- maintain the Company’s traditions, values and customs
- support the Lord Mayor and the Corporation of the City of London
Some current activities
- working with schools in the West Midlands and Isle of Wight to promote science education using glass as the medium
- making awards to studio glass artists and for significant advances in the science or technology of glass
- supporting a Parish Assistant at St Luke’s Parish Church, Canning Town, one of London’s inner-city boroughs
- maintaining affiliations with the armed services: City of London and NE Sector Army Cadet Force
Follow Liveryman Gwen Rhys on Twitter
Read about Commission Competition launched in January 2015.
You must be logged in to post a comment.